Disability Cuts "Paused" Pending Review


I really welcome the announcement by Taoiseach Enda Kenny that budget changes for younger people with disabilities will now be reviewed. This review will be carried out by ItaMangan Chair of the tax and Social Welfare Commission

In my view, the initial budget proposal was wrong. You cannot do this to one of the weakest sections of society. Everyone knows that money has to be saved but this was not the way to go about it. I made my feelings known in no uncertain terms on this issue in meetings and correspondence with government colleagues that I was emphatically opposed to this proposal. I am delighted that this will now be addressed. Young people in receipt of disability allowance will hopefully not now be affected. Those that will be 16 years old from the 1st of January onwards will continue to draw their benefits as before while the review takes place. The fact that the Taoiseach and Minister for Social Protection have listened to TD’s, Senators and ultimately the people is encouraging and shows that this Government will reverse decisions if they are shown to be wrong.

Post a Comment

Tony Mulcahy

Tony Mulcahy

About This Blog

The reason I put this Blog up was to gather the views of as many of the people of Clare as possible.

I would love to hear what you have to say. What you want to see happen. What local and national issues are closest to your heart.

Please leave your comments and thoughts here and on my Facebook page www.facebook.com/tonymulcahy

Thank you.

Fighting for Clare

Fighting for Clare

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP